Last Saturday morning I was feeling pretty good about myself. I was heading off for a day trip to visit a friend who recently moved away, but I managed to get some pork chops into the slow cooker with a molasses-and-apple marinade before walking out the door. All day long, I was anticipating the sweet aroma that would hit me upon opening the front door that evening.
Turns out you have to switch the slow cooker on.
Here’s what they looked like before I left in the morning…
And here’s what they looked like after I got home that evening. Yep, that’s the same picture. I couldn’t bring myself to take another one when I got home, but I assure you they were virtually unchanged. Heartbreak.
I gave myself five minutes to be upset, a few days to let the pain heal, and then tried again (with new pork chops).
I salted and peppered them, seared them in a hot pan for a minute on each side, nestled them on a bed of crisp apples, and covered them in a simple marinade made of blackstrap molasses, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. I switched the slow cooker on, double- and triple-checked it, and then stuck around the house for most of the day to make sure nothing went awry.
And nothing did.
Slow Cooker Blackstrap Apple Pork Chops
Plenty of marinade for 2-4 pork chops
2-4 pork chops
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
2-4 apples, sliced
1 1/4 cups (300ml) chicken stock
1/4 cup (60ml) apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup (60ml) blackstrap molasses
- Salt and pepper pork chops liberally on both sides. Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Sear each pork chop for 1 minute on each side.
- Arrange apple slices in bottom of slow cooker. Arrange pork chops in a layer on top of apples.
- Whisk together chicken stock, vinegar, and molasses and pour over pork chops and apples.
- Cook on low, obsessively checking all power sources, for 8 hours.
- Serve on a bed of mashed potatoes or rice or any other starchy wonder, but definitely ladle some of that molasses goodness over the top!