You know those videos all over your Facebook feed right now that hover above one bowl or one pot and watch someone making a meal in superspeed until you’re starving and also convinced how easy it would be to make that? This is one of those, but without the video because I don’t have four hands or a hanging tripod.
Extreme comfort food, extremely easy, one skillet, done in about 30 minutes.
Chicken, lemon, garlic, and olive oil? Yes, please!
And broccoli? Is it Christmas?
Anyway, let’s get down to business.
Get some olive oil hot, toss in some chicken and garlic, sprinkle it all with lemon juice, and sauté until it starts to get a caramelly-brown crust on the outside. (Don’t worry too much about whether it’s done inside at this point– it will continue to cook as you add the other ingredients.)
Add your broccoli and toss it together, just to get some of that chicken juice on your vegetables…
Add your rice and chicken broth, give it all a good stir, bring it to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed…
Like this.Add your milk (or milk and cream, if you’re feeling dangerous)…
And cover and simmer again until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
Add some slices of sharp cheddar, and pop the whole thing (skillets are wonderful!) in the oven or under a hot broiler for just a few minutes…
Until bubbling and brown.These are a few of my favourite things…
Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Skillet Meal
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper
Splash lemon juice
1 crown broccoli, chopped into florets
2 cups (370g) rice (I used Basmati, but anything is fine)
3 cups (710ml) chicken stock
1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk
1/2 cup (120ml) cream (or more milk)
Sharp cheddar cheese
- If using an oven to brown the finished dish, preheat to 200°C (400°F).
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large skillet, add chicken and garlic, season generously with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, and sauté until the chicken begins to brown. It may not be cooked all the way through at this point, which is fine.
- Add broccoli and toss with the chicken to coat.
- Add rice and chicken stock, stir together, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes, depending on your rice). Preheat broiler now, if using.
- Stir in milk (and cream, if using), cover, and simmer again until liquid is absorbed (about 5 minutes). Taste and season with salt and pepper. If rice is still crunchy, stir in 1/2 cup more chicken broth.
- Cover with slices of cheddar (grated works too) and place in preheated oven or broiler for just a few minutes, until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
- Handle skillet carefully! Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.